Inclement Weather Protocol
USD 247 Southeast is committed to both the safety of our staff and students. An equal importance is placed on instructional time, and closing school means our students are missing out on classroom learning. Kansas weather is difficult to predict. There may be a light glaze of ice on the roads in the morning but by noon there are sunny skies and 60 degree weather and the following day may bring a foot of snow. The unpredictable weather combined with the fact that our district covers more than 200 square miles, makes a decision to close school a difficult call to make.
As you can see, there are multiple factors involved in making a decision to close school. Sometimes the choice is obvious, but most of the time it is neither easy nor simple. We will make these decisions to the best of our abilities given the available information.
Our procedure for determining when to close school or dismiss early:
(1) USD 247 staff members will check main throughways as well as side roads to determine their safety. These staff members share their feedback with the superintendent. This usually takes place before 5 a.m.
(2) The superintendent monitors current and forecasted weather conditions, compares that with feedback from staff who have checked the roads, then makes the final decision of whether or not to close school. A decision will be made by 5:30 a.m. that morning or, when possible, by 10:00 p.m. the previous evening.
(3) If school is closed that information will be provided through the following outlets as quickly as possible:
- Local TV: Fox 14 TV, KOAM TV 7, KODE TV 12, KSNF TV 16
- Local Radio: 96.9 FM “The Kow” and 860 AM KKOW
- School resources: phone message and text, email, www.facebook.com/usd247, www.twitter.com/usd247, and www.usd247.com
Please remember, if school is closed or dismissed early, all after school activities, including the after school programs, meetings, practices/games, and/or programs will be canceled as well unless noted otherwise.